I don’t know if you have ever considered a kitchen reno
before???
Have you heard the horror
stories?
Have you heard about the challenges?
Have you heard about the challenges?
I had……I didn’t believe them…….. I was wrong.
We had quite a good kitchen.
15 years ago it was a very good quality kitchen. It was Tassie oak with a hideous green lino
benchtop. It would have been installed
by a proper kitchen company at the time.
It is just that a lot has changed in kitchen design in those 15 years.
We quickly painted the Tassie oak a whiteish colour to break
up the kitchen/floorboards which allowed the kitchen to actually be a bright
space (except for that dreaded green benchtop)
Along with lots of décor imperfections when we moved into
the house, the kitchen was on the list to do.
It was always moved to the bottom of the pile.
As a family we have always valued overseas travel ahead of latest
home interior design and the arrival of the 4th child into the mix slowed
down the decorating. So it was with
elation that Mr M and I studied the finances at the end of last year and
realised that we could afford the new kitchen.
With much planning, quotes, design, signing contracts the
kitchen became a fulltime job for me for some weeks. The first plans included the removal of less
than a metre of wall. This again
required builders and then engineers as this small section of wall was found to
be a supporting wall….. you know where I am going with this….. so, then we had
to take down the small section of wall and the living area was turned into a
building site of several tradesmen and plaster dust thick on every
surface. At that point, the final
kitchen measurements could be made and then we had to wait in the building zone
for 5 weeks until the kitchen demolition could start.
I was prepared. I had
pre-cooked meals, I had my mother-in-law on hand who was kindly preparing fresh
meals. We were told it was a 3 week
process. We made a make shift kitchen in
the laundry (when I say we, I mean myself, the children and my very generous
sister and brother in law who offered to help pack up the kitchen – as mr. M
was busy on an overseas business trip –timed to perfection!)
- I dealt with all the steady stream of tradespeople that wandered through my home for the three weeks.
- I dealt with the preparation of school lunches at the world’s tiniest kitchen bench,
- I dealt with the 2 year old that had to be kept amused away from the hub of the home where we always are….did I mention that it was the wettest week in the history of Sydney in the last 40something years, well yes that was happening too so access to the backyard was beyond limited.
What I DIDN'T deal with (and believe me I am using ‘didn’t
deal’ as a euphemism for –left me in a screaming near-psychotic mess!) was how
to assemble meals for 5/6 people each evening, when you walk in no earlier than
7pm each evening after the ridiculous family schedule of extra curricular
activities.
I stood in front of the
microwave for at least an hour each evening trying to heat or defrost meals one
plate at a time.
I tried to dish up
meals out of the slow cooker one plate at a time – with nowhere to place the
plated food.
We ate seated on the
ground, clearing a space in the boxes of kitchen goods and kitchen building
appliances.
I tried to refrain from
ringing take away every night of the week, for 3 weeks.
I stood at my laundry
sink to handwash every utensil we used and then get someone (often me as
everyone else had to head to bed hours previously) to dry it instantly as there
was NO WHERE to place the clean item.
As a renovation community service I have compiled:
10 TOP TIPS- Kitchen Reno Survival Guide:
- Remove family from the residence while kitchen is being replaced!! Obviously this will rarely be the case
- Be gentle with yourself – take away / eating out meals for a couple of weeks will not KILL the children
- Start with the end in sight – maintain that vision
- Talk talk talk to the tradespeople – don’t forget to be well supplied with tea/coffee/sweet things
- Don’t just believe you are changing a kitchen – consider the lighting, flooring, paint and decoration – it will ALL change
- Unpack the kitchen and sort it as you go – charity and throw out was sorted out as I unpacked
- Be organised – everything has a place; in the temporary kitchen as well as the NEW kitchen
- Don’t be afraid to find a new style. We have been married for 17 years, so we still have a lot of things from the past decade. Keep the good, but don’t hang onto the old – a lot has changed in design since you first started purchasing kitchen goods
- Don’t try to work at another job. This task was honestly a time consuming full time job. I found myself running for the shops on a daily basis – new light fightings, new tiles for the backsplash, investigating fittings, looking at display homes etc etc.
- This is not something that happens very often. Enjoy the fun and luxury of being able to renovate your house and make a true mark on your home – it is all you, that doesn’t happen everyday.
- I recognise that I am very lucky to have the opportunity to spend 3 weeks in a bit of difficulty to have a future with a beautiful new kitchen.
- I recognise that I am now IN LOVE with my new kitchen and am thankful for it every single day.
I write this as a warning to anyone considering the kitchen
reno. DO NOT underestimate the challenge
that will be ahead of you. When people
say, “it makes life unpleasant” – don’t take it lightly. The kitchen really is the centre of the home,
it is the most important room for the family. When that is taken away from you,
even for just a couple of weeks – the mother of the home may turn into a CRAZED
woman whenever anyone mentions food.
We’ll put it down to a learning opportunity
For the Love of Learning
Donna
the kitchen reno – it was booked at a suitable time when the family was away on holiday



No comments:
Post a Comment